Starting a Programming Blog

I'm not a big fan of blogging.  I have several failed attempts in the past, mostly because I don't have the time for it.  I had pretty much sworn off blogging for good pretty recently.  I had mostly stopped reading my RSS feeds from Google Reader.  The only evidence on the internet that I existed was starting to be my site and my Stack Overflow reputation.

But then, SO is kind of a blog isn't it?  I've been posting quite a bit, on multiple Stack Exchange sites.

profile for deltree on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

I do it, in part because of Eric Lippert's comments,
answering the questions I didn't know the answers to, because those are the ones I would learn from.
Mostly though, I prefer Albert Einstein's reason.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
I got a new job...at NASA...as a Senior Developer, and I wanted to be good at it.  I started researching concepts like User Stories in SCRUM and Agile.  I started to monitor things like ISC and DZone much more closely than I had in the past.  I suddenly had a use for those RSS streams again, so I cleared out all my old Economics and Political Blogs and put my programming stuff on there.

Today's Coding Horror post really got me, as evidenced by this blog.  I can really respect his argument that:
you should always finish by writing up your results purely for your own self-improvement, if nothing else.
If for no other reason, I think I can keep up with this blog purely because it is a reference of things I've figured out so I don't have to remember them next time.


So that's it.  I've got a new blog.  Let's see how it goes.

Comments

Popular Posts